Claim Compensation for Tennis Elbow

My doctor says I suffered a lateral epicondylitis injury to my elbow because of overusing the joint at work; can I claim compensation for tennis elbow?

You should be able to claim compensation for tennis elbow provided that your injury was sustained due to a third party’s negligence, in this case your employer – who has a duty of care to provide a safe working environment for his or her staff. However, although proving that you suffer from tennis elbow is easily done when it has been noted in your medical records by a professional medical practitioner, determining liability can often be more difficult. You would, therefore, be well advised to engage with an experienced solicitor to assist you with your claim.

Repetitive injuries such as tennis elbow develop over a period of time, which can often lead to complications when an individual wishes to claim compensation for tennis elbow. The recovery time for such an injury can also be lengthy, and you should be compensated for that.

It is difficult to estimate how much you may receive before you initiate action to claim compensation for tennis elbow and consult with a solicitor, as your compensation will be influenced by your personal circumstances. A solicitor can calculate the value of your tennis elbow claim by accounting for your age, sex and general state of health prior to the incident when considering the severity of the injury.

The consequences of your elbow injury and the impact it has had on your quality of life will also be taken into account when you claim compensation for tennis elbow, as can any quantifiable emotional trauma that you may have experienced. You may also be entitled to recover any financial expenses which are derivable from your injury, including any loss of income.

As mentioned previously, in order to claim compensation for tennis elbow against your employer, your injury must have been sustained because of his or her negligence. This is often a difficult process and it is recommended that you consult with a solicitor as soon as possible after diagnosis who can advise you on whether or not you have a viable claim, and if so, can give you a preliminary estimation of how much compensation for your injury you are likely to receive.