A refuse worker, who suffered an injury when a hydraulic cable on a garbage truck burst and sprayed its contents into his eyes, is to receive €15,565 compensation for a burn injury at work after his claim was heard in the Circuit Civil Court.
Kamil Kozlowski (30) from Part West Point in Dublin was emptying bins in Sandyford Road in July 2011 when a hydraulic cable on the back of the garbage truck burst, spraying hot oil into his eyes. An ambulance was quickly on the scene, and Kamil received first aid before being taken to the Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital – where his eyes were rinsed and a course of eye drops was prescribed.
However, Kamil – who believed at the time of the accident that he may be permanently blinded – continued to suffer pain in his left eye and experience problems with his vision and, after seeking legal advice, made a claim for a burn injury at work against his employers – Panda Waste Services Ltd of Navan, County Meath.
Panda Waste Services admitted their liability for Kamil´s eye injury, but the two sides could not reach an agreement over how much compensation for a burn injury at work Kamil was entitled to receive. Eventually the case was taken to the Circuit Civil Court in Dublin where it was heard by Judge Alison Lindsay.
The judge, after hearing the circumstances of Kamil´s accident and the injury he sustained, awarded him €15,565 in compensation for a burn injury at work.