Two sisters, who suffered from breathing problems after a shower drain was incorrectly fitted in their family home, have had settlements of injury compensation due to faulty home renovations approved at the Circuit Civil Court.
Twins Abby and Chloe Croke from Raheny in Dublin both developed respiratory difficulties following renovations to their family home in 2008. The source of the problem – fumes from the negligently fitted shower drain – was not discovered for three years, during which time Chloe (now eleven years of age) was diagnosed with asthma.
Remedial work has since been carried out on the family´s bathroom, and the health of the whole family has improved; however, the girls´ mother – Ita Croke – made claims for injury compensation due to faulty home renovations on behalf of both girls against Alpha Engineering Heat Providers Ltd of Finglas, Dublin.
At the Circuit Civil Court in Dublin, Circuit Court President Mr Justice Raymond Groarke was told that offers of settlement in both claims for injury compensation had been made by Alpha Engineering Heat Providers Ltd without admission of liability.
After hearing that the family were prepared to accept the offers of injury compensation amounting to €5,000 for each child, the judge approved the settlements.