St Patrick’s Day Boy Accident Compensation of €53,000 for Boy Knocked Down in Hit and Run

A boy who was injured in a hit and run accident when he was crossing the road after the St Patrick’s Day parade in Cobh, Co Cork in 2017 has settled his High Court pedestrian accident compensation claim for more a figure just above €53,000.

The boy in question, Daniel Foley, was just a few days short of his seventh birthday when he was flung across the car bonnet and rolled off, landing heavily on the ground and sustaining injuries. The accident took place just after the boy had watched the St Patrick’s day parade in Cobh on March 17, 2017. He had been walking away from the place where he was watching the parade when the accident occurred.

The young boy, nine-year-old Daniel Foley. sustained fractures to his hip, ribs and lower jaw as well as lacerations. In order to receive treatment had to spend four days in hospital away from his family.

Daniel, who live at The Orchard, Rushbrooke Links, Cobh, took the legal action through his father Pat Foley against a Romanian national, who was the owner of the car and the driver a Spanish national along with the MIBI.

It was alleged that the driver did not pay any or any adequate and proper attention to the increased numbers of pedestrians in the area due to the fact that it was St Patrick’s Day and festivities were ongoing in the town of Cobh. In addition to this it was claimed that there had been a failure to appreciate the road and traffic conditions pertaining and to drive in a manner which respected this.

The accident caused the boy to experience severe shock and a loss of consciousness. Those attending to him called an ambulance and he was taken by ambulance to hospital where he remained for four days. For the two weeks following the accident he could not eat anything unless it was in liquid form.

The court was informed that Daniel has made a good recovery.

Mr Justice Kevin Cross approved the settlement of €53,748 against the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) as the court heard there was no insurance in place.