Student Settles Injury at Work Compensation following Hot Oil Accident

A student who took an injury at work compensation against the Chinese takeaway he worked in has settled his High Court action. The young man was burned by hot oil when he unknowingly sat on a bucket of freshly discarded bucket of it.

Umesh Maharjan, a fine arts student sustained devastating injuries when the oil splashed on his back and arm, the court was told. He was in significant pain and has been left with “grossly disfiguring” scars and wounds.

Originally from Kathmandu in Nepal, Mr Maharjan was employed in the Rathnew Chinese Takeaway in Wicklow to help fund his studies in Ireland. The 29-year-old Mr Maharjan, who has an address at Dock Road, Limerick, took his injury at work compensation action against Rathnew Restaurant and Takeaway Ltd due the accident that took place  on August 21, 2015.

His legal representative for Mr Maharjan, Declan Doyle SC, said he was taking a break at the rear of the takeaway where plastic buckets were stored. Another member of staff had placed hot cooking oil from a deep-fat fryer in a bucket there and when Mr Maharjan sat upon it, the lid shifted and he fell backwards when the oil spilled over his back and left arm.

Mr Maharjan sustained life-changing injuries and had significant burns. Co-workers assisted him and applied water to the areas of his body that were burned. He was then taken to hospital.

Presiding Judge, Justice Michael Hanna was informed the issue of liability had been withdrawn in the case and it was before the court for assessment of damages only.

Mr Doyle SC told that Judge that, following talks between all relevant parties yesterday, the case had been settled and could be dismissed.